Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Cake Test

I am so excited to finally be able to publically announce that I am going to be an aunt again. No not Lauri, or Kayla, at least that I know of... But Liz. Liz and I go way back, like third grade back. She played soccer with me, was a roommate of mine in college, and a bridesmaid in my wedding. I couldn't be happier for her and Tony, and I know they will both make the most amazing parents. And of course, I can't wait to snuggle the little nugget. But of course we had to have so fun predicting if it was a boy or girl. It all started with my friend Emily...

So last year when Emily found out she was pregnant with Baby #2 people immediately started taking bets on the gender. I had been looking around online for old wives' tales to have some fun and see if they really worked or not when I came across this little ditty. It seemed like a good time so one night we invited everyone over for dinner and decided to give it a try.

The basis was simple. Bake a cake, half pink, half blue. Ice the cake. Spin the cake. Cut into the cake. And see what your little bundle of joy will be. This was Emily's test:



Much to my dismay, as you can tell by the screeching voice on the video. But I still had hope for a little girl, so on ultrasound day I made this for Big Sister Sadie to wear, hoping the pink fairy would grace us with her presence:


And like the cake, the nice ultrasound lady, and their Daddy all thought, in August we were graced with this:


Anyways back to Liz. So tonight we decided to give Liz a cake test. Her doctor's appointment to find out is tomorrow, so we literally waited until the last minute to do this. But we are all going to have to wait until Saturday to actually find out because Liz has a little something fun planned to reveal the surprise. So we started with white cake mix and mixed it to the directions on the box. Then we split the batter into two bowls and dyed one pink, and one blue.

Then we very carefully poured the batter into the baking pan, making sure we got as close to even as we could. Eventhough, I think I secretly wanted there to be more blue ;)


We popped the little bun into the oven, pun intended, and 35 minutes later it was done. I iced it in white icing and added a yellow ? for fun.

Then she gave it a little spin and decided where she wanted to cut it.




My reaction was a little different this time because I kinda want it to be a boy. So I guess we will have to see on Saturday how well the test works. So far, our odds are 100% correct.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Travis and Emily Leavitt said...

Yeah liz, I can't wait to hear if the test is right!